Code for Nigeria is looking for a digital journalist and strategist to join our CitizenLab in Lagos.
The News Innovation Fellow will implement and manage our journalistic projects and showcase events. This will include conceptualising, planning and executing data-driven journalism projects, multimedia reporting projects and developing digital tools to augment news reportage.
In addition, the fellow will contribute to regular digital journalism skills programmes and play an evangelist role in managing our local Hacks/Hackers chapters – currently in Abuja and Lagos – and related innovation communities.
The fellowship is for an initial 12-month period, renewable for a further period based on performance and project requirements.
Why join us?
– You’ll help shape the future of digital journalism and civic technology for social good not just in Nigeria but across Africa (Code for Nigeria is part of the Code for Africa federation).
– You’ll work and learn on a wide variety of fun cutting-edge projects with Nigeria’s best media houses and digital strategists.
– You’ll live and work out of our CitizenLab, a civic innovation campus right in the heart of Nigeria’s own ‘Silicon Valley’, in Yaba.
What you get
– Satisfaction from empowering citizens with actionable information and data-driven tools to improve society’s evidence-based public discourse.
– A competitive honorarium.
– Free housing at our CitizenLab in Lagos.
– Free lunch (we’re being serious).
– Awesome backend tech support for your project ideas
– An opportunity to make your mark in the global data journalism and civic tech communities, through international collaborative projects, international travel, and international media partnerships
What you need
– Strong mainstream journalism background (2–3 years minimum).
– A passion for social innovation and digital democracy.
– Hands-on experience with data-driven journalism.
Application deadline: February 29, 2016
Start date: March 2016
Location: Lagos. Concessions will be granted for strong candidates in Abuja.
To apply, send your résumé, along with a cover letter, and your project idea based on the hypothetical scenario below.
Send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 29, 2016.
To apply or for more information click the link below
CODE FOR AFRICA