An eligible candidate for a Borlaug LEAP fellowship must be
– a citizen of a USAID-assisted country. Currently we are only accepting applications from citizens of USAID-assisted countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Applicants cannot hold citizenship or permanent residency in the US and/or any non-USAID assisted country. This includes applicants with dual citizenship.
– currently enrolled as an MS or PhD student at a US or sub-Saharan Africa developing country university. Candidates must maintain student status for the duration of the fellowship.
– fluent in reading, writing and speaking English. All semi-finalists must provide a TOEFL or IELTS score taken within the past year. Only applicants enrolled at U.S. universities are exempt from this requirement. Minimum acceptable scores are: TOEFL, 550 (paper test); 80 (internet-based test). IELTS (academic modules), minimum of 7 on a 9-point scale.
In addition, eligible candidates will have
– completed at least one year of graduate level course work in the graduate program the applicant is currently enrolled in with a US equivalent grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
– a thesis-topic related to agricultural development and related fields. Title XII legislation broadly defines agriculture as:
“…the science and practice of activity related to food, feed, and fiber production, processing, marketing, distribution, utilization, and trade, and also includes family and consumer sciences, nutrition, food science and engineering, agricultural economics and other social sciences, forestry, wildlife, fisheries, aquaculture, floriculture, veterinary medicine, and other environmental and natural resources sciences.”
Successful candidates must:
– agree to return to their country of citizenship for a minimum of two years following graduation.
– remain enrolled as an MS or PhD student and have student status at their university for the duration of their fellowship.
See Conditions of Training for more information
An eligible US mentor must be:
– a faculty member at a US graduate level university.
– conducting research related to or complementary of the student’s research topic.
– eligible at his/her institution to supervise graduate students.
– eligible at his/her institution to serve as Principal Investigator on the fellowship award.
– willing to make the time commitment to mentor the student.
To apply and for more information click on the link below